That was the song Jordan and I woke up to this morning... I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.
I am a busy body. Since I woke up at 4:15 this morning and found out Blue had passed away I've held Blue and cried a lot, sorted through Blue's things, washed Blue's best blanket to bury him in, done dishes, looked back on all my pictures and videos of Blue and posted a few farewell posts. This is my last stop. It broke my heart to edit my "about us" section and erase two pups and Blue's name.
Here is Blue's story: Blue came into my life when I was 16 years old. My uncle Jeff surprised his wife with Blue when she got home from a trip. We'll just say it wasn't a match made in heaven and that situation lasted a year. Blue got his cute name and learned to sing in that year, thanks to Cheri. My aunt Kate took Blue when Jeff and Cheri found out they were expecting their first baby, thinking the situation would be temporary and they might want Blue back after easing into parenthood. My aunt had a lot going for her. 6 kids. 4 dogs. Chickens and more. It wasn't a bad situation for Blue but it also wasn't the best.
When Jordan and I got married in 2011 I immediately wanted a dog. The perfect solution: bring Blue home to live with us. Blue lived with my aunt for 4 years so it was a safe assumption that my uncle wasn't wanting him back, so on August 5th we picked Blue up and brought him home to live with us. He was 5 years old and just the cutest Chihuahua you ever saw.
I already loved Blue but that little guy stole my heart within the first week. He was such a good dog. No accidents, no chewing up anything (other than tissues, but who cares about a tissue), would go outside without a leash and stay. He just followed me around, slept, ate, played and snuggled. We moved 3 times and each time Blue would get anxiety he was being left. I promised Blue I would be his forever home when we "adopted" him and I meant it. Nothing was going to tear that dog away from me. Jordan and I dealt with infertility for 3 years and I'm not sure I would have handled the prospect of not having a family so well if it wasn't for Blue.
For 3 years our routine was the same. Jordan, Blue and I. He slept in our bed and was so spoiled all around. Last year Jordan and I both got the itch to add to our family. We still didn't know if a baby was in the cards so we thought about a puppy. We didn't know how Blue would react, but with Blue at the age of 9 going on 10 that year, we thought it was the right time to get another dog so Blue could show the new dog the ropes.
Enter Scarlett. We brought Scarlett home and I knew it was going to shake Blue's world but thought they would figure it out. Initially I was like great, they're playing together and this is good. Then Blue realized she wasn't leaving and things weren't as okay anymore. They adjusted but Blue definitely didn't like my attention not 100% on him and Scarlett's puppy energy was no match for an old dog. Scarlett loved Blue, I'm just not sure the feeling was mutual, haha. They had their moments. Blue use to have free reign of the house when we went to work but soon after we brought Scarlett home they started getting locked up in the kitchen and later our laundry room together. He calmed her down and she was less of a terror when they were together. When we found out I was pregnant the dogs got kicked out of our bedroom at night into "their" room in preparation for the up and down with a newborn. Sorry Blue. :(
December 11th, 2015 Blue celebrated his 10th birthday. He was in excellent health with good energy and what I hoped many years ahead of him. I was so excited to see Blue, my first fur baby, and Gemma, my first real baby meet in March. Today February 1st, 2016 was a day I never wanted to come and Blue passed away. Saturday the 30th was a normal day for Blue. Sunday the 31st he woke up throwing up, which wasn't unusual but I could tell it was worse than normal. He was drinking some water but not eating. I was going to take him to the vet this morning if he wasn't feeling better. I thought he was feeling better in the evening because he left his bed to join the rest of the family as we watched Grease Live. I have Blue a kiss good night and headed to bed at 9pm. Jordan put the dogs to bed in their room last night and sometime between 10pm and 4:15am when I went to check on Blue, Blue passed away.
Jordan dug his grave in our backyard under some rocks he used to sunbathe on. It's where the morning sun touches first when the weather is nice. My dad and grandparents came over for his little funeral. I'm grateful for all the love and support we have received at this difficult time.
I have a lot of feelings and thoughts. I feel guilty and wonder if I had taken him to the pet ER yesterday if he would still be with us now. I wish I would have let him sleep in our bed last night so I could have been with him in his last moments. This week on the 5th he would have officially been apart of our family for 4 1/2 years.
Blue was such a big part of my life and mine and Jordan's marriage, he was there with us from almost the very start. I am so lucky I got to be his momma for the time I did. I hope he is happy in heaven right now. I hope he knew how much I loved him and what he meant to me. Pets are such a big part of your life and have a love for you and you for them that people don't really understand unless they have pets.
Here are some Blue facts and memories Jordan and I compiled this morning in his memory. I will add to it as I remember him:
Racing through the grass. He was so fast and tiny he looked like a little energizer bunny.
Getting locked in the closet over night accidentally and because he was such a good dog he just hunkered down for the night. I didn't find him until I had looked everywhere else and was going to get ready for work/look outside in case he had slipped out when Jordan left for work.
Everyone asking what kind of dog he was when we would take him to the farmers market. He was the most handsome Chihuahua.
Basket rides with me on the beach cruiser. He loved not missing out but the basket wasn't ideal.
His ear freckles.
Giving him a large chunk of cucumber and he loved it so much, but it was too big for him to eat so he hid under a stool and growled when Jord or I would try to take it away. He loved crunchy lettuce, carrots and cucumbers.
He could hear/smell cheese being opened from a mile away and would come running.
He also loved tuna and licking the rim of my yogurts.
The Mexican mountain dog. He was the best little hiker.
Burrowing to the bottom of the bed and into my belly. No matter where I moved he moved right along with me.
Greenies in the mornings. Walks. Car rides. Going to see the boys or grandma and grandpa. His bunny toy. Some of his favorite things.
Lion costume. Sombrero. His red and cream striped hoodie. He hated the ridiculous things I would put him in but those were my favorites.
He loved to explore. I panicked I lost him when we was one house over roaming in the empty lot sniffing and peeing on everything.
Warm spots and sunshine. Sitting in front of the kitchen heat vent and eating breakfast together has been our ritual since I've been pregnant. Our new electric blanket was something I tucked him into and turned on for him when he wasn't feeling well Sunday. He loved it so much and was close to figuring how to turn it on himself, I'm sure of it.
He was a smart little guy. If you told him "Blue! There's a kitty!" He would start looking around growling.
Stealing a bone from cousin Katy and knowing it wasn't his so he hid with it.
Sleeping on Jordan's pillow and clothes. He loved our new walk in closet and kept sneaking in there to nap on Jordan's work coats.
So annoyed by Scarlett's ear kisses.
The look he would give you if you stopped petting him.
Squeaking when he got to go for a walk or in the car.
Singing.
Salty matted fur after forcing him to swim in the great salt lake. He didn't like being too far away from me so he would swim to me when I wadded into the water.
Speaking of water he hated baths and would try to swim under the shower.
Licking my Popsicle sticks clean.
The suitcase chair was his throne. Lately he would sit on it and watch me in the bathroom as I got ready.
Napping on my nice throw pillows.
Coming to greet me whenever I came home. He could be in his room in bed home with Jordan but would come out as soon as I arrived home. It was always a battle between him and Scarlett who got picked up first.
Nicknames: Blucifer. Blueberry. Blue boy. Critter. Blusie
Thanks for the memories Blue. You were so loved by many and are missed terribly.

1 comment:
I just read this post 😢. What a sweet tribute to your Blue. I know you gave him the best life ever. Miss you little Blue.
Post a Comment