Monday, April 28

Hacks and Balance

While I don't have eating 'clean' or 'healthy' perfected and most likely never will I do have some tricks up my sleeve when trying to do so. Here a list of my favorite healthy foods/snacks:

-Fresh mango
My favorite treat! If I'm in a mood and want something unhealthy, this is my go to. 
-'Hard boiled eggs'
I actually bake mine at 325 degrees for 30 minutes and cool immediately after in ice water for 10 minutes. Works like a charm every time. I usually do a full carton at a time and keep them in the fridge for a grab and go snack or for added protein in lunches. 
-Broiled grapefruit
Some days I'm not feeling the green smoothie or egg routine. I turn my oven to broil, cut my grapefruit in half and bake for 5-7 minutes. Baking it brings out the natural sugar and is so yummy! You must try it. I never thought I would be able to eat a grapefruit without a spoonful of sugar on top, but I don't add a thing when I prepare grapefruit this way. 
-Sugar Snap Peas
I'm not a huge veggie lover. I'm definitely selective and sugar snaps are one veggie I crave! So yummy! A handful of these in my lunches and I reach for these first. 
-Almonds and Cashews
I buy big bags of both of these nuts, throw them in a Tupperware and shake them up. Pick your favs and do the same! 
-Dates
The way I'm trying to live my life is without any type of sweeteners, (honey, brown rice syrup, agave etc). Dates are what I use in my all fruit and veggie smoothies to give them great flavor. 
-Larabars
My personal favorite is the apple pie. Be careful when buying larabars when eating a certain way- 1: They can be a huge crutch for sugar addicts. 2: not all larabars are created equal. Some have nuts I am avoiding (peanuts) and ingredients like chocolate. Be sure to read labels on any processed food you buy! Larabars can be great in a real pinch, but I eat them very rarely. 

Other advice I have for you is to splurge and buy the produce and products you love. You're going to be more prone to make a healthy lifestyle change if you're enjoying your food. I spend a couple extra dollars to buy my favorite apples, and it's worth it! I also believe in indulging on occasion. You're more likely to make this life long change if you recognize the effects unhealthy food has on your body. I'll eat clean all week, indulge a bit on the weekend, and come Monday I'm so ready to be back feeling 100% eating healthy. I notice the difference in my body and mind when I eat clean vs a dairy/grain/sugar heavy weekend diet. When I say indulge a bit I really mean a bit! Don't undo all your hard work by eating total garbage for a full day/weekend. 

Cheers to a healthier life!

No comments: